Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Is There Such a Thing as I's??



Here's one I keep seeing every where.

So just like in Post #2 below, when we were corrected as youngsters for saying, "Me and Lauren" to "Lauren and I"... we all the sudden thought that everything should end in I.

We apparently thought since we should change everything to "________ and I" that we suddenly didnt know how to show the possessive form of sharing something with the previously mentioned name.

For example:
"Cant wait to hold John and I's baby for the first time in September!"
"Please come to Kelly and I's new apartment!"
"I hope to see you at Dane and I's wedding!"

So....someone tell me. When did "I's" become a word?
Ummm. It didnt.

So here's how ya fix that problem.
Because believe me, you are NOT alone!!
EVERYONE does it.
I promise.

Incorrect: Cant wait to hold John and I's baby for the first time in July!
Correct: Cant wait to hold John's and my baby for the first time in July!
Why---> Whose baby is it afterall? Drop the other name and see if if makes sense separately.
                                 John's baby. My baby. Not I's baby.


Incorrect: Please come to Kelly and I's new apartment!
Correct: Please come to Kelly's and my new apartment!
Why--->Whose apartment is it afterall? Kelly's apartment. My apartment. Not I's apartment.

Incorrect: I hope to see you at Dane and I's wedding!
Correct: I hope to see you at Dane's and my wedding!
Why---> Whose wedding is it? Dane's wedding. My wedding. Not I's wedding.


Is there another way?? That's so confusing and sounds funny to me!
Yes. Lucky for you, there is another way.
You could just say:
---> I cant wait to hold our baby in July. John and I just cant wait.
---> Come to our new apartment! Kelly and I would love to see you!
---> Dane and I hope to see you at our wedding!

That way, you get to comfortably use our and then you also get to use your "_________ and I" that you like to use so much :)


So let's recap:

Don't panic, it's really quite simple.

The grammatical rule is: drop the other person's name and see whether you would use "I" or "my" or "me" if the other person were not named. Then use that word to refer to yourself, even when the other person is added back in to the sentence.
So there's no need to make up words like "I's" just so we feel that we are still in compliance with the made-up grammar rule that "me" should get thrown out and "I" should henceforth always be used :)

Another thing you probably noticed is that the other person should always be said/written first. Pronouns like "I" and "my" should come second (which does follow the me and I rule from earlier...so I'll give you a break on that one!).

Okay, it's past this blog's and my bed time!!

10 comments:

  1. I hate when people use the "I's"..drives me mad. I probably get a kick out of this blog because, like you, I feel that I should correct people, signs, etc for poor grammer. I don't do it all the time (but would love to!). It could be a teacher thing.
    I think I'll learn more here then in school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's one more for you - 'I think I'll learn more here "than" in school!' Sorry - like you, I felt like I needed to correct ��

      Delete
  2. When I found two errors within the first two sentences of the article ("every where," and "all the sudden"), I could read no further. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! This drives me crazy as well and I definitely agree that it stems from people being taught not to use "Me" as a subject instead of "I." The use of "I's" is probably the most ridiculous unanticipated outcome of this but the other is just that people seem afraid to use the word "me" at all in a sentence (especially when there's an "and" involved. My other pet peeve in this area is the improper over usage of the word "myself." Ugh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog post sooooooo much!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have a few people in my life who use the non-word “I’s” and it drives me completely batty. Really, it has to be about the oddest thing that comes out of people’s mouths. And, all of the people I know who say it, are bonafide college graduates, so help us all! The poor selection of “me” as a subject is also annoying, and as a serial grammar correction officer, I can’t help but ask them to drop the other person and see how it resonates. Eyes are only for seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Don’t watch the Bachelor or Bachelorette show if the use of I’s drives you crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Have Your Own Dramatically Grammatically Correct Question? Leave it and I'll read it!